Will I be able to get home in case of an emergency?
Are you afraid that leaving your car behind means you won't get home quickly if an emergency arises? With Emergency Ride Home (ERH), you don’t need to worry about getting home for personal emergencies when you use a smart commute option. If your company contracts with Pierce Transit for our Emergency Ride Home (ERH) program, any day you use a commute option to get to work you are eligible for a taxi ride home if an emergency arises. Best of all, its free – we’ll reimburse you for the cost!
When can I use ERH?
If you use a commute alternative to work and have an emergency situation you qualify for Emergency Ride Home.
ERH can be used, with employer approval, for:
- Employee or family illness
- Your supervisor unexpectedly requests that you work late (that is, the request comes on that same day, without prior notice or knowledge)
- Unexpected change in planned ride home (e.g. your carpool driver had to leave early due to an emergency).
- Other emergency situations which occur during the workday.
Where can I go?
You may use ERH to travel from your worksite to:
- Your home
- The location of your personal vehicle (e.g. park & ride lot, daycare center, carpool partner's home)
- Your ferry terminal (taxi reimbursement ends at the ferry terminal)
- Your medical provider
- An intermediate stop is permitted if it is related to the nature of the emergency, such as picking up a sick child from school before going home or to the location of your car.
- Each employee is allowed up to 6 trips per calendar year.
- Unlimited mileage per trip.
- Reimbursement will cover taxi fare. It does not include gratuity.
- Inappropriate use of the program may result in loss of ERH privileges.
How can I get ERH at my workplace?
Employees, to find out if your employer has an ERH program contact your work site Employee Transportation Coordinator.
Employers who would like an ERH program contact Karen Henderson, Business Partnerships Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 253.581.8008.
For State Agencies the State Agency Free Emergency (SAFE)-Ride program is available to employees who use a commute option to get to work. To learn more contact your Employee Transportation Coordinator.